A humble bowl of Khichdi never disappoints – it is cherished as a warm bowl of goodness on a rainy day or as a home remedy for the flu, or just as a cleaning food, khichdi is a popular dish in Indian households and advocated in Ayurveda for its ability to restore balance and heal the body, because it is tri-doshic, balancing all three Ayurvedic doshas. Easily digestible and nourishing, here’s a recipe from Dharana Wellness Centre’s Executive Chef, Shubhendu Kadam’s kitchen
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp onion, chopped fine
1 Tbsp ginger, chopped fine
1/2 green chilly, chopped
1 Tbsp garlic, chopped fine
A pinch of turmeric
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 Tbsp cumin powder
1/2 Tbsp coriander powder
1/2 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp of hing
1/2 cup soaked basmati rice
1 cup soaked moong dal
1/2 cup cauliflower
1/2 cup spinach
1 carrot, chopped
Salt, to taste
– Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and saute well.
– Add the green chillies and saute further.
– Add the spices: turmeric and black pepper, adding a little water to not burn the spices
– Add the cumin powder and coriander powder
– Keep on low heat, add hing
– Mix in the moong dal and rice. Mix well
– Add water, season with salt and mix well.
– Add the cut vegetables.
– Adjust the water and cover.
– Simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes.
– Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and chopped green chillies.
Dharana Wellness Centre, a wellness retreat near Mumbai, focuses on holistic health which includes physical, mental and spiritual balance. One of the main pillars of this eco wellness retreat lies in the farm-to-table food philosophy, which encourages an organic approach to consuming food. Fresh produce is picked from the organic farm and is made with slow-cooking techniques. As an Ayurvedic healing center in India, Dharana combines the use of an integrative, modern approach for holistic health with Modern diagnostics with traditional practices like Yoga and Ayurveda to ensure a sustainable wellness journey.
Don’t forget to tag us @dharana_shillim with your creation!