‘2020 was surely not my year’ and ‘2020 changed my life’ – two different sides of the same coin, definitive of the impact that this year had on our lives. Since February 2020, we observed a wave of Pandemic globally, nevertheless, we were warned to ensure safety and hygiene in confinement in our homes since March for precautionary measures, as no cure to this new air borne virus-COVID-19 existed that eventually redefined our way of communicating with the rest of the world in seclusion.
As gloomy as this year sounds, people losing their lives or jobs to the virus due to global economic depression, got even worse with the lockdown extending resulting in excessive screen time with our gadgets for work/study from home, tornout social life and much more.
But the brighter side to staying indoors did have a positive impact on many. We had enough time at our disposal to rekindle with our family, friends and relatives, learnt a new hobby and established a skillset, got accustomed to a fitness routine- all these efforts for sustaining our mental, physical and spiritual wellbeing. In an effort for the stray animals and underprivileged, people joined hands as a community to make efforts for delivering food, clothes and shelter.
This year can surely be envisioned as a ‘blessing in disguise’ for some of us, but it is righteously mother nature’s way of implementing reparations onto us for the dreadful damaging effects of our consistent gambit lead on for centuries.
Transitioning through ups and downs, learning and evolving into a better citizen, is nature and life’s way of teaching us to become an informed citizen of the society. Progressing each day, we adapted to newer rituals and practices for an evolved and healthier exchange with the environment.
Following are the lessons we learnt:
- In order to keep ourselves calm, consistent and at peace through the rough and tough times, we must ensure orderly discipline of our routine habits and stay conscious of our actions. Proper dietary nourishment derived from organic ensures immunity of the gut, physical activity for improved muscle movement and to stay in shape, hydration for glowing skin and detoxification of body, hygiene and cleanliness to keep viruses at bay and detoxification of unwanted companionship and thoughts for improved holistic wellness is crucial.
- Meditate to attain peace, practice yoga for elevating your physical wellbeing and ensure a clean nutritional diet. Breathing exercises and asanas ensure optimum functioning of the respiratory tract and organs, improved blood flow, detoxification of the internal system eventually keeping mental illnesses, diseases and viral infections at bay. Performing all of this in a routine balances different elements of your lifestyle and energies within you ensuring a longer and healthier life.
- Keep your family and loved ones closest to you, chit-chat and play as spending time together contributes to growth and affection, improves emotional bonding, ensures clarity of thoughts and opinions, de-stresses your mental well being of toxicity ensuring lower levels of stress and depression.
- Find your own creative expression. Play your long favoured instrument, paint your heart out through colors, cook and bake to therapize, read books and magazines or pen down your feelings into words- pick up a new hobby, engage and invest hours into it, as it is not only contributing to your spiritual growth and keeping you productive, but feels therapeutic to lose track of time doing something you are passionate about to channelize positivity in a self immersive state of being.
- De-stress and distract from the mundane homeliness and routine of work/study from home- step out in the nature, take a stroll or jog in the park, go for treks, play and relax with your family and friends amidst lush greenery, plan a weekend getaway to somewhere safe yet secluded such as wellness retreats or resorts to sustain positivity and improvise your daily lifestyle for attaining holistic wellbeing.
In conclusion, this year and every year is about survival of the fittest. So work on yourself everyday to transform into the better version you always aspire to be. Focus on your holistic wellbeing, seek out opportunities, and drive your priorities to the purpose of becoming a balanced and an aware individual as a whole.
Dharana Wellness Centre, a wellness retreat near Mumbai, focuses on holistic health which includes physical, mental and spiritual balance. One of the key ideologies of this eco wellness retreat lies in the holistic approach. As an Ayurvedic healing center in India, Dharana combines the use of an integrative, modern approach for holistic health with Modern diagnostics with traditional practices like Yoga and Ayurveda to ensure a sustainable wellness journey.